Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Outside the rain is pouring down heavily upon the pavement

Outside the rain is pouring down heavily upon the pavement, beating the earth the way a musician in love with his music plays the drums. Inside I am hanging up my coat and slipping off my boots. I’m coming home to you.

***

I don’t know about the world. I don’t know about the creatures that live and love deep down in the ocean. I can’t name all the far away globes of light and gas in the sky and I don’t know about the pearls behind your ears. I don’t know Greek mythology or how many times to water a plant to keep it alive and green. I’ve read many books, but hardly any of the classics, and the only museums I like to visit are graveyards. I can’t taste a difference between organic and regular milk and I still forget to recycle. I don’t know about the promise of wealth and beauty buried miles below the earth. I don’t know how to skip a stone across a pond but I think our love is a lot like those ripples that expand until they become a part of everything and you no longer can tell what is love and what isn’t. I think I know that our love is a lot like that.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the ripple imagery. ~LisaB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very nice. You write beautifully and I look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete